Friday, January 1, 2016

Educating Myself on this Transgender Thing

So while I spent time scheduling therapy appointments for TN, I also began educating myself on this whole transgender concept. I knew there was a cure for this - I knew it must be some sort of mental illness/issue that just needed the right therapy or meds to fix.

To find that answer, I knew I just had to research in medical journals to find the data that supported my thoughts. I figured once I found the data, I would share it with TN and show him it's a known issue and we would have a plan to fix him.  

Interestingly, I could not prove my theory. I found nothing in the medical journals that gave me data to show my kid had a mental illness.  GID (gender identity disorder) is no longer even considered a mental disorder and has been removed from the American Psychological Association's DSM (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders). 

Along with that, there are no cures. No treatment plans. Well, I take that back. The treatment plans involved letting your kid live as the gender in which they identify.  The majority of transgender folks have depression etc due to how they are handled and how they're expected to live their lives.   

Here are some of the journals, books and articles I read which helped me learn and understand that there is more negative ramifications in forcing TN to live as a girl than there is letting TN live as the boy he sees himself as. 

By the way, if you look up the journal articles online, you can't read them (you'll be prompted to pay a bunch of money) so go to your local university's library and read them for free there. I was able to read, and even download some in PDF form to keep, all of these at George Mason University's Fenwick Library without needing a student ID or anything. 


1. Handbook of Sexual and Gender Identity Disorders. David Rowland (David L.); Luca Incrocci 1962- c2008. Available at George Mason University Fenwick Stacks

2. "Gender Identity Disorder in Children a Mental Disorder?" Sex Roles, A Journal of Research. by Nancy Bartlett, Paul Vasey and William Bukowski

3. Chapter 3 of this book: Assessing and Treating Low Incidence/ High Severity Psychological Disorders of Childhood. By Stefan C. Dombrowski, Karen L. Gischlar, Martin Mrazik

4. Journal of Psychosomatic Research "Psychiatric comorbidity in gender identity disorder" By U. Hepp, B. Kraemer, U. Schnyder, N. Miller, A. Delsignore

5.  Eur Psychiatry. "The transsexual: what about the future?  By A. Michel, M. Ansseau, J.J. Legros, W. Pitchot, C. Mormont

6. Psychiatry Research Journal. "Suicidal ideation among patients with gender identity disorder" by Yosuke Matsumoto, Toshiki Sato, Nobuyuki Okabe, Yuki Kishimoto

7.  Journal of Psychoneuroendocrinology. "Sex-sensitive cognitive performance in untreated patients with early onset gender identity disorder" by I.R. Haraldsen, S. Opjordsmoen, T. Egeland, A. Finset

8.  Psychiatry Research Journal. "Cross-sex hormone treatment does not change sex-sensitive cognitive performance in gender identity disorder patients" by Ira R. Haraldsen, Thore Egeland, Egil Haug, Arnstein Finset, Stein Opjordsmoen

9.  Archives of Sexual Behavior. "The DSM Diagnostic Criteria for Gender Identity Disorder in Adolescents and Adults" by Peggy T. Cohen-Kettenis and Friedemann Pfafflin 

10.  Journal of Sex and Marital Therapy. "Demographics, Behavior Problems, and Psychosexual Characteristics of Adolescents with Gender Identity Disorder or Transvestic Fetishism" by Kenneth J. Zucker,  Susan J. Bradley, Allison Owen-Anderson, Sarah J. Kibblewhite, Hayley Wood, Devita Singh & Kathryn Choi

11.  Journal of the American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry. "Adolescents With Gender Identity Disorder Who Were Accepted or Rejected for Sex Reassignment Surgery: A Prospective Follow-up Study" by YOLANDA L.S. SMITH, M.SC., STEPHANIE H.M. VAN GOOZEN, PH.D., AND PEGGY T. COHEN-KETTENIS, PH.D. 

No comments:

Post a Comment